Bass and Flinders Centre
The Bass and Flinders Centre is centrally located in George Town on Tasmania's Tamar River.
In 1798, the explorers Bass and Flinders were dispatched to Van Diemen's Land' to ascertain if Tasmania was an island or not. They sailed with a crew of eight in Her Majesty’s Colonial Sloop Norfolk right into the Tamar River and anchored off what is now George Town.
The Bass and Flinders Centre is now the home of the replica sloop ‘Norfolk’, together with the ‘Elizabeth’, a replica of the whale boat rowed by James Kelly around Tasmania; the ex-naval cutter ‘Kenneth Dickenson’; two old racing ‘fours’; a banana boat surfboard and the gentle ‘Melanie’.