Bass & Flinders Maritime Museum
The Bass & Flinders Maritime Museum is centrally located in George Town on Tasmania's Tamar River.
In 1798, the explorers Bass and Flinders were dispatched to Van Diemen's Land' to ascertain if Tasmania was an island or not. They sailed with a crew of eight in Her Majesty’s Colonial Sloop Norfolk right into the Tamar River and anchored off what is now George Town.
The Bass and Flinders Maritime Museum is now the home of the replica sloop ‘Norfolk’, together with the ‘Elizabeth’, a replica of the whale boat rowed by James Kelly around Tasmania; the ex-naval cutter ‘Kenneth Dickenson’; two old racing ‘fours’; a banana boat surfboard and the gentle ‘Melanie’.
Temporary Closure: Council advises that the museum will be closed from 27 September 2022 to 7 October 2022 for required maintenance and painting works.
Tues -Sun: 11-3pm
For more information visit the museum website
|Phone||(03) 6382 3792|
|Address||8 Elizabeth St, GEORGE TOWN 7253|