George Town Council offers employment in a diverse range of areas from Parks/Gardens, Work Crews, Building Surveying, Town Planning, Community Services, Finance, Administration, to name just a few. This diversity means there’s a job to suit just about everyone’s personal tastes!
Current Vacancies & EOI's:
Community Officer - Arts, Culture and Experience
Come and join the George Town Council team to help tell our story to the world.
The municipality of George Town is situated in the North Eastern region of the Tamar Valley and is a place of exquisite beauty and opportunity, steeped in history, dotted with towering lighthouses and spectacular coastline, and boasting crayfish, yachting, diving, wineries and whiskey distilleries, and diverse and visible flora and fauna. The region offers enormous possibilities to explore a breath-taking natural, historic, and cultural environment set in a beautiful climate.
About the Role and You
The objective of this position is to support the Municipal arts, culture and experience initiatives through engagement, liaison, planning and project management activities. The position is a member of the Livable and Connected Communities Department and provides expert advice to the manager, other team members, other staff, and elected representatives as required, as well as supervising the Volunteer group of Council. This position will also contribute to the development and execution of relevant strategies implemented by the Council.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- A tertiary qualification in Arts, Arts administration, Cultural development, Tourism, or related fields, and/or significant related experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time and competing demands, set priorities, plan and organise self and others to achieve specific objectives within set timeframes and budget.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research and data analysis.
- Extensive experience designing and delivering advocacy and engagement programs for tourism/experience, the arts and/or cultural programs.
- Experience in the organization and running of events.
- A demonstrated understanding of the arts and cultural development tools and processes.
- Proven ability to engage with multiple community stakeholders, including with people of varying backgrounds, cultural and language experiences.
- Experience in the writing and execution of strategy, policy and procedures, particularly in relation to arts, culture and/or experiences/tourism.
- A demonstrated thorough understanding of the arts, cultural and experience/tourism industries.
- Proven ability to petition for, write applications, and secure grant funding for, both private and/or public.
How to Apply
If this sounds like you and you would like to know more, obtain an information pack with position description, selection criteria, and information on George Town, or to apply, please contact the below or visit the George Town Council Careers page at https://georgetown.tas.gov.au/careers/ . The applications period will close at 5:00pm, 09 October 2020.
The successful applicant will be appointed for a period of 24 months, with a view to make permanent.
Manager – People, Performance and Governance
George Town Council
Ph: 03 6382 8800
Expressions of Interest - Artists and Designers Register Now
For future public art projects in the George Town Municipality
The George Town Placemaking Committee has a range of projects that, on behalf of the George Town Council, we are seeking to implement across the municipality. We would like to utilise the skills and experience of local artists who know the region well and have an attachment to, or affiliation with, our community and environment.
Some examples of the projects that the committee are considering include a whole of region art trail, street art including themed micro projects, sculptures, murals, 3D interactive paintings, notice boards, bespoke commissions such as recreational furniture, mosaics, carvings, topiary, painted bollards and so much more.
If you are a suitably qualified and inspired artist, an arts collectives or public art design team located within or associated with the George Town broader community with artistic ideas for the community and the demonstratable skills to deliver a project, we would love to hear from you!
We aim to collect a range of applicant details that will be drawn on over the next 24 months according to the specific project.
: Some documents on this page need Adobe Reader to view or print them. You can download Adobe Reader for free.