Local Government Elections
Local Government Election are taking place this October. Tasmanian councils are the closest level of government to the community. They are responsible for representing the interests of their communities and delivering local services and infrastructure.
The local government elections give everyone the opportunity to nominate to become a councillor or elect councillors who you think best represent you. Changes to the legislation earlier this year mean that voting in local government elections is now compulsory.
To ensure your enrolment details are up to date or to find out more information about nominating, please visit: www.lgat.tas.gov.au/council-elections
Local Government General Managers Roll
What if I have a shack or a shop—or if I’m not an Australian citizen?
You are also eligible to be on the local government roll if:
- you own or occupy land in a municipal area different from where you are enrolled on the state electoral roll, or
- you are the nominated representative of a corporate body which owns or occupies land in the municipal area.
To enrol under these special provisions you need to complete the appropriate enrolment form and return it to the General Manager of the relevant council:
- Local Government enrolment form for owner/occupiers, or
- Local Government enrolment form for corporate bodies
To be enrolled under these special provisions you need to ensure that the General Manager for the Council in which you are enrolling has your completed enrolment form before the close of rolls for an election.
Electoral rolls closes: 6 pm Thursday 8 September
- Notice of election: 3rd September 2022
- Candidate nominations open: 5th September 2022
- Candidate nomination close: 19th September 2022
- Polling Period: 3rd – 25th October 2022*
- Closing Day 25th October
* This may be extended by the TEC.
View Video HERE