Do I have to license my caravan?

If you intend to place your caravan/motorhome on private land and occupy it as a residence, whether on a temporary or permanent basis, you need to have it licensed with the council.

Caravans need not be licensed if they are:

  • placed on Council land appointed as a caravan park;
  • situated on private land licensed by the Council as a caravan park;
  • used by a travelling show person in the ordinary course of their business;
  • used by Council work gangs or contractors involved in construction work for the Council;
  • situated at a person's principal residence and used solely for the purpose of storage; or
  • exempted by the General Manager in accordance with Council policy.