Do I need a permit to move my stock?

The Local Government Act (1993) contains no provisions in relation to the moving of stock. It is at the discretion of Councils through their individual By-laws and policies that determines whether a permit is required.

A permit is not required unless you are leading livestock on a national highway. Permits are issued and enforced by the Tasmanian Police.

Individual councils may require written permission before stock can be moved along council controlled road and road-related areas.